Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Evolution of the Bathroom

If there is one room in our apartment that I don't like, it's the bathroom. It's tiny, the tile is gross and has absolutely no storage space - not even room for a trash can! Besides the measly little vanity, when we moved in, the only room to put anything was this pathetic little wire rack mounted over the toilet.

Have you ever seen a sadder bathroom?

Since then, the bathroom has continued to haunt my dreams (OK, not literally) and I have managed to make a few minor changes that have made a world of difference. First, I replaced the knobs on the vanity with these gorgeous ones from Anthropologie. I wanted to buy a bunch of them to replace the gross, gold hardware in my kitchen, but at $8 a pop, that just wasn't going to happen.


While the knobs made me feel a little better in the morning, they certainly didn't change the scratched up, dirty look of the vanity cabinets.


An over-the-toilet storage rack also helped - as did a new (from our previous apartment) shower curtain and bath mat, but still, I knew the room had a lot of work to do...and a lot more potential.


A couple of months later, I replaced the shower curtain with this one from Target, as well as a new bath mat (also from my favorite low-budget store). With some baskets from TJ Maxx and Ikea, it was finally a functional space.

I had to stand in the shower to get this shot.

After adding an over-the-door hook and a little artwork (thank you, Ansel Adams and my mom), the place does what it's supposed to.


Though storage has been enhanced, it still doesn't look great, and I have a lot of plans for the future of this room...including one simple solution that I worked on tonight.

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment